As an expecting mama, it was such a treat to speak with doula Tori Pohl on making birth a more spiritual experience. Tori walks me through what a doula is, what it isn’t, and how her faith influenced her decision to become a “servant” during birth. I also love how she ties in a little Theology of the Body with how birth can help us grow closer to God. Whether or not you’re a biological mama, this episode is all about how this amazing feat a woman’s body can accomplish was designed by the Lord and can help bring us closer to Him. So whether you’re single, a homebirther, an adoptive mama, or someone who’s birth plan is one word long: EPIDURAL (hi 👋🏻), I think it will bring you value.
Today's episode is brought to you by Kindred Bravely. Enter code "GRATEFUL" at checkout for 15% off your first order. From the bump to the breast, this company has you covered with affordable, stylish nursing wear.
Don't forget--today is the LAST DAY to sign up for our e-retreat, 40 Days to a Feminist Faith. For more information and to sign up, click here. You'll receive 40 days of educational content, prayer accountability, and access to our private Facebook group. From March 20-April 28, come learn more about intertwining your faith and femininity.
- How Tori transitioned from a dance therapist to a doula
- Why she decided to pursue becoming a doula
- What doulas are and what they aren't
- Why knowing about our bodies is so important to our faith
- Some practical tips and tricks for making birth more spiritual
- How a recent trip to NYC brought her closer to God
- The Business of Being Born (I feel compelled to reiterate that I don't see eye-to-eye with this documentary for many reasons, but I do know some people have found value from it. I encourage every woman to do her own research before deciding a method of birth that's best for her. Methods of birth are not moral issues.)
- This image of Mary and Eve
Enter to win!
Made for This: The Catholic Mom's Guide to Birth by Mary Haseltine explores the topic of childbirth from a Catholic and holistic point of view. Birth affects all of us - body, mind, heart, and soul. In Made for This, the Catholic woman can learn how to understand, prepare for, and experience her unique birth in all those ways through the lens of her faith. Thanks for generously donating a copy to one lucky listener, Mary! The winner will be chosen 3/20/18. You must respond within 48 hours or another winner will be chosen.
Download Tori's Meditation
Here's a FREE meditation just for you!